Kaia’s Floral First Birthday Party
A first birthday - what a big milestone! Kaia is born on December 11th - a beautiful date, especially because her brother is born on January 11th! With her birthday being in the lead up to Christmas, I must admit that I was initially thinking of simply doing something very small and low key amongst family. The more I thought about it though, the first birthday is a pretty big deal. Even if she won’t remember any of it, we are celebrating her first year of life. An extremely emotional, memorable and special moment for any parent.
I wanted to share some captures from the day and hope to give some inspiration by sharing where I was able to source what for Kaia’s little big celebration.
Theme: My vision was to create a floral garden picnic. I wanted the décor to be whimsical, with a touch of bohemian, a bit of sparkle and lots and lots of flowers. It turned out to be a bit of this and a bit of that but I think it came together so beautifully!
Invitation: Designed by Hello Dolly Designs http://hellodolly.co.za/
- Welcome sign – Handmade by me with inspiration from Pinterest
- Letterboard – From @letterboardcompany
- Macrame – From @ollypollykids
- Floral print – From @yorkelee_prints
- Good things grow here – From @thebeeandthefox
- Fairy wings – From @numero74_official
Birthday Table Set up
- Floral garland by @tinytigerkids
- ‘Oh sweet child of mine’ Print – From @roarr_design
- ONE hanging balloon – From tenderlovecardstock off etsy.com
- Helium confetti balloon – From www.gingerray.co.za
- Two cakes on stands – From tenderlovecardstock off etsy.com
- Glass jar filled with marshmallows – From www.checkers.co.za
- Wooden trees – From @roseandvickoryco
- Star wand - From @numero74_official
- Wooden foliage – Laser cut by a friend
- Wooden picture frame – From www.countryroad.com
My hope was to have an outdoor picnic set up. Picture a long wooden crate table surrounded with rugs, pouffs and large cushions for us all to sit on. The wooden crates would be covered by a white lace table cloth and the tables was to be scattered with lots of flowers in vases, candle holders, lanterns and golden décor touches. Unfortunately, the wind was too strong that morning, so the main dining table was used for this décor instead. And we are now stuck with six large wooden crates, in case anyone is interested?
- Vintage picnic basket – This actually belonged to my grandmother so it is true vintage and very very dear to me.
- Large ombre paper plates – From www.gingerray.co.za
- Small pink dessert paper plates – From www.kingcake.co.za
- Wooden cutlery tied with lace – From www.merrypak.co.za
- Best Day Ever napkins – Leftover from our wedding!
- Kraft paper bags wrapped in washi tape – From www.merrypak.co.za
- Pink and light grey paper straws – From www.gingerray.co.za
- Pink bubbles served in my favourite Champagne glasses
- Pink lemonade
- Iced water
- Large yummy antipasto platters and a large green salad. Simple and delicious.
- Pink ombre cake with gold detailing. Buttercream icing and a midnight dark fudge chocolate sponge filling. It turned out so delicious! This is the recipe I used.
o ONE cake topper – From tenderlovecardstock off www.etsy.com
- White buttercream cake with a vanilla sponge filling. This is the recipe I used.
o Golden candles – From www.gingerray.co.za
- Kaia’s ONE smash cake was designed to have the ‘naked buttercream’ look, topped with a flower and some greenery. So happy with how it turned out!
- Number 1 cake topper – From tenderlovecardstock off www.etsy.com
- Comets (aka Cake pops without the pop) – From @sweet.lionheart
- White and pink mini marshmallows - From www.woolworths.co.za
I got a couple lovely flower crowns made by @opgedollie which Kaia and I wore at the start. My friend surprised me with two real handmade flower crowns with foliage and flowers from her own garden (the dark purple crowns Kaia and I are wearing). She did such a good job and I loved wearing such a special homemade gift throughout most of the party! And the stunning flower crowns from @opgedollie now feature in Kaia's nursery as decor, which makes me so happy - our very own little souvenir from the celebration.
And a massive thank you goes out to my dear friend Olivia, who took most of these lovely photos. She designs and sells the most gorgeous teepees for little humans. Check them out over at www.mytinyteepee.co.za!